For the past 2-3 months, I’ve been working on a “newborn” sweater set for my baby that I pulled from the book Baby Knits Made Easy by DK Publishing. The pattern said it was for a newborn but the finished product is significantly larger than anything I would like coming out of me. It would definitely fit most 12-month-olds. And it looks like it was made for the arms of an orangutan, not a human child…
I chose red and white for the color scheme because red is our family color and cream white seemed to go well with it at the store. It wasn’t until I made the hat that I realized I had to be careful with the color scheme to ensure it did not look like Santa.
I’m very satisfied with how the jacket design turned out. My only hang-up is the sloppiness of my intarsia stitches on the front of the jacket trim. I had some learning to do on that stitch and it was sloppy on the first try and very tight and orderly on the second try. Unfortunately, the first try is on the side with the buttonhole, so that lays on top. A precision knitter would have pulled out stitches to correct it but …
I am lazy the mistakes are what make it look homemade!
The most exciting part of the project was after I was finished with the whole pattern when I got to sew up the seams. The pattern laid the jacket out in one continuous piece from the back bottom edge to the front bottom edge. The only seams were under the arms and down each side. I was finally in a comfort zone and I could just put the pieces together and hand stitch them without constantly having to refer back to the instructions.
There was a little fanagling when one of the arms didn’t quite match up but it turned out just fine. A little tighter stitch on one side and looser on the other managed to get the edges to line up.
I’m pretty pleased with the finished product; although who knows how long it will be before my baby can actually wear the gigantic thing. I could fit my own hand and forearm through the arm holes. I chose cotton yarn since I’m having a summer baby but he may end up wearing it the following summer. That’s how big it is.
My next project is to make some overalls using seersucker cotton I got on a good deal at JoAnn’s over Teacher Appreciation weekend. I’ve also got a baby blanket in the works and I’m hoping to start a summer bonnet and some more knitted garments. I got a new book called Vintage Knits for Babies by Rita Taylor and I’m hoping that her patterns will be a little more historically accurate. (In my estimation, people use the word vintage when they create new things that look old but have no real historical accuracy. It’s infuriating.)
Though I’ve spent a good deal of time trying to hunt down actual historical patterns, I find myself bored with how simple they are. Perhaps that is why there are “vintage” patterns. Garments that harken back to the past but that above all meet the desires and tastes of modern knitters. Even as I complain about the historical inaccuracies, I’m still choosing them over the stuff I know is accurate because “it’s cuter/more interesting/has prettier pictures to look at!”
My husband says I’m not really living like great grandma at all. I’m more paying her a vague, vintage-y homage. If I really want to live like great grandma, I simply must stop taking short cuts and improvising so much.