Now that a baby is coming, I have decided to take living like great grandma to a new level.
Today I decided to cut my husband’s hair instead of sending him to a barber. How hard could it possibly be, right? Besides, I had my handy-dandy guidebook, Practice and Science of Standard Barbering, to help me.
Did you know that the short cut is popular in the summer time for both young and old?
I cut the back and sides way back, then went in with a clipper and comb and freestyled. I only left a couple little variations in an otherwise smooth tight trim. Then, as the book advised, I performed “finger work only on the top if necessary.” (It was very necessary.)
Awe, who am I kidding? He’s handsome in every hair-do.
As a dedication to the mysterious and elusive GG Olson, I made pancakes Swedish style after we went to church last Sunday. (Yes, we went to Unitarian church. We are looking around for a non-denominational community to reinforce the values we will be teaching the Mystic Bambino at home and have been enjoying the Unitarians. ♫ Whaaaaat a friend we have in Buuuuuddhaaaaa! ♫ ) According to the advice of my Swedish friend, Daniel, the secret ingredient is a metric shit-ton of butter (that’s metric – not imperial).
I called my dad for the recipe and some of his notes were rather mysterious. Next to “2 tbsp oil,” he wrote “or 1”. Next to where it said “2 eggs,” he wrote in “or 3 – depends on size”. But his mixing directions were very clear. “Add to blender.” “Blend.”
The recipe isn’t the official GG Olson recipe (WHO HAS IT??) but my dad saw his mother make these and has made them enough himself to know what the consistency should be and to change this online recipe accordingly. And my addition? I changed the oil in the recipe to melted butter, so as to properly incorporate the secret ingredient.
Finally, I’ve been working on a knit set of newborn clothes for the baby. The pattern said it is for newborns. I used the directed needle size and yarn. And yet… it has turned out HUGE.
This is my first time making booties and actual garments. The arms of the sweater, as I have moved on to the front side, are ridiculously long. I feel like I’m knitting for a baby orangutan, not a baby human…
I’ve changed the color pattern somewhat to incorporate our family color (red), but I’ve been working hard to make it NOT look like a Santa suit (although by the time the thing fits the kid, it’ll probably already be Christmas…) As I started the front border, I noticed the two colors were leaving holes in the work. So I doubled back and sort of twisted the two colors together as I went. Later, when I checked my knitter’s ultimate guide book, I was thrilled to discover my improvisation was actually the correct method! It’s called the Intarsia Method. (It must be pronounced with very posh accent: In-TAHR-sia).
I’m on hunt for a vintage baby blanket pattern that I can start on after Christmas. Home Needlework Magazine has a baby’s crib blanket in the October, 1907 issue. It’s early for my great grandmas – they weren’t generally having babies until the 1920’s – but it’s the only one I could find that’s knitted.